Виндингс переводчик на русском
45 Free Wingdings Translator Charts
Wingdings is one of the more common icon fonts which has its origins way back in the early 1990s. It was made when Microsoft had developed its typography, making use of different characters from a group of symbols created by Kris Holmes and Charles Bigelow. Originally though, the symbols had been created by Holmes and Bigelow for their Lucida typography between the years 1990 and 1991.
Therefore, the original names for these fonts were:
- Lucida Icons
- Lucida Arrows
- Lucida Stars
They were then reorganized, renamed and then released, referred to as Microsoft Wingdings in 1992. This came along with the most recent operating system at that time, which was Windows 3.1. Since then, the Wingding font has grown and with it, Wingding translators have emerged as well.
As time passed by, the family of the Wingdings font had grown as 2 newer versions were created. Wingding 2 and Wingding 3 were developed and the both of them came with more symbols and icons. These fonts came with a wide range of graphics and icons including, but not limited to:
- computer, printer and mouse icons
- folder, files and mail envelope icons
- religion and astrology icons
- decorative icons
This typography has then become so popular that it even has its own club compromised of enthusiasts who are trying to spread the “Wingdings Language.”
Another fun fact, it is believed that the name of the font comes from the character W.D. Gaster from the video game, Undertale. The name of the character, “Wing Dings” Gaster refers to the font as it is the language the character uses to speak. Throughout the game, all of Gaster’s dialogues are spelled using the Wingdings font. So to be able to translate his speech into English, you would need a wingdings translator or a wingdings translator chart.
This article is all about this particular font. As you will see, it has a variety of uses including website design and other projects. In this article, you will learn about using it in web design as well as how to translate it using charts which are readily available online and in your Windows system. Read on and be informed and guided by this useful information.
Using Wingdings and Similar Fonts in Web Design
Images look great on websites however using them would be quite challenging as you are creating and designing the site itself. Aside from the fact that it can be quite challenging to find the right icon to use, editing icons and graphics can be quite challenging too. Especially if you’re not really used to doing so. Other disadvantages of using graphics and images on websites are:
- They tend to add a lot of file weight to your website, especially if they are high res graphics
- Making use of graphics and images would require more http requests
- Graphics and images don’t usually scale well, they may either end up pixelated or distorted
To be able to create a design for your website which is more responsive, it is a lot more advisable to use icon fonts instead. Wingdings and other similar fonts come with a wide range of icons and graphics which you can use in place of actual graphics for your website design. Let’s take a look at the benefits of using icon fonts:
- It’s a fact that bitmap images don’t scale well, especially when used in site design. These kinds of images frequently lose their quality when they are scaled up. And when you scale them down, you will be wasting the file size. For each image you use, you would need additional HTTP requests, which means that the load times of your website pages will be significantly longer. Finally, without reworking graphics in a type of image editor, it can be very challenging to rework the image itself. Icon fonts don’t have these problems.
- Icon fonts scale well and they don’t need additional HTTP requests for every single character. You may be thinking of these fonts in terms of the characters which we use for writing. But actually, they’re just shapes and icons which you may be able to use in place of graphics or images.
- They can be scaled easily without ending up distorted or pixelated. This is very beneficial since having any kind of distorted or pixelated graphics on a website doesn’t look good and might put off the visitors of your site.
- Changing the colors of the icons is very easy. When you are able to do this, you can also match the colors of your icons to the colors of your text. Either match them or make a contrast to highlight or emphasize the content of your website.
- They don’t come with backgrounds and you will be able to include shadows on them. Often images and icons come with their own background, which you cannot use unless you make the background transparent. There are icons available with a transparent background but they can be quite challenging to find. So it’s a lot easier to use these fonts as icons instead.
- When making use of such fonts, your website will generally have good browser support. Users will be able to use them on different devices as the font will be able to adjust as needed. Aside from that, your web pages will load a lot quicker, which is convenient for the users and visitors of your website.
- Can be used in designing and in text based CSS.
- Can do anything that graphics and images can do, sans the other problems.
As you can see, using these kinds of fonts in web design is really beneficial. So if you’re planning to use these fonts, go ahead and search through a Wingdings chart to find the icons and graphics you can use. We will be discussing more about such charts further into the article, but first, let’s talk about some general information on how you will be able to use such fonts in web design.
How to Use Wingdings and Similar Fonts in Web Design
A good use for Wingdings and other fonts is to send secret messages which need decoding. To be able to decode the message, you will have to use a Wingdings translator, those of which are readily available. But aside from that, you can also use them in website designing, which was described in the previous section. But the question is – how do you use icon fonts? Here are some helpful tips and steps for you:
The very first step to do when using such a font in web design is to embed the font. There are different applications which will help you do this. When you’re done embedding the font, you can work on it in three different ways:
1. Wrap the icon in HTML
This is the simplest way to work with the font. When you do this, what happens is the character will be mapped to a specific icon in the font you have chosen. This process is easy however it will add a meaningless character to your markup.
2. Use CSS generated content
Here, you will be using CSS generated content instead of adding the character straight into the html. To do this, you need to transfer the icon font in the icon class then move from there. When you do this, your HTML markup will be reduced, but the readers of the site will still be able to read the character.
3. Make use of a data-icon attribute
Just like when you make use of CSS generated content, you need to add the font you want into the icon class. But as an added step, you will create a character by making a reference to what is in the data-icon. Generally, it’s quite similar to the previous way and therefore presents the same problem of the character still being read out loud.
These are very general ways to use icon fonts, such as Wingdings in websites.
To be able to get more detailed information on how to use such fonts on websites, you can go ahead and do more research online. Now let’s move on to the different uses of Wingdings charts as well as how to find and use them. This information will guide you further in using the said font for purposes other than for website designing.
Uses of a Wingdings Translation Chart
Now that you have learned a lot about the font itself, let’s move on to learning about the tools which are used to translate the said font to the English language. To do this, you can either use a Wingdings translation chart.
Some users may want to add some ornaments or a little bit of charm to their designs or projects and using this famous font is a great way to do that. This font doesn’t contain any of the usual characters and symbols, instead, it contains symbols. Using a chart which contains all the symbols will guide you in finding the right symbol and using the corresponding key on your keyboard for it. Here are some uses of such a chart:
- Icon fonts like these cannot be used to spell English words, which means they are typically used for decorative purposes. That is unless you’d like to send a secret message which would need to be decoded. Designers regularly use this font to add visual appeal to a design or a file. A symbol from this font can be used as a divider or a frame. It can act like a bullet or even draw focus to the header when used around it. So the chart is important for you to be able to type in the right symbol which you will be using.
- Another use of such a chart would be to aid finding different icons which can be used for different projects. As previously stated, these icons can be scaled well so when you are able to find the perfect icon from the chart, you can use it then scale it however you want.
- There are plenty of different symbols found on the chart and when you have one on hand, you’d have a much easier time in general. You don’t have to press each and every key on your keyboard to find the perfect icon. All you have to do is refer to the chart, find the icon and use it however you wish.
As you can see, the main purpose of such a chart would be a reference for when you use the font. Typically used for designing, this font comes with a lot of symbols so having a chart is really handy. Now let’s take a look at how you will actually use this kind of chart.
Finding the Wingdings Chart in Windows
If you don’t want to have to search for the chart online, that doesn’t mean that you’re stuck. If you’re running on a Windows operating system, it generally comes with a Character Map application. You don’t have to search for it online as it’s already built into the system.
There are different ways to find the chart or character map, depending on your version of the Windows operating system
- For older versions of windows, click on the Start button and locate All Programs. From there, click on Accessories, then System Tools then Character Map.
- For Windows 10, the easiest way to find the character maps is by pressing the Start key (the key on your keyboard which has the Windows logo). Then on the Start screen, just start typing “charmap.” When you do this, you should see an element from the choices (if there are other choices), called Character Map. When you see it, click on it.
- Another way to find it (on any version of Windows is to click on Start, then Run. When the search bar appears, type “charmap” and press Enter.
Once you’ve opened the character map, you’ll be able to choose which font to view and when you click on it, the chart will be opened. So now let’s talk about how to use a Wingdings chart.
How to Use a Wingdings Chart
Learning how to find the character map is very important. In fact, a lot of people don’t even know that it’s already built in! That is of course, if you are running on a Windows operating system. So once you’ve found the character map, it’s also helpful to learn how to open the charts and use them for whatever purpose you have.
- From the dropdown menu, choose the Wingdings font. The dropdown menu is located at the top of the window so it’s pretty easy to spot. Once you click on the font you want, the chart will immediately be opened on your screen.
- Look through the whole chart at all the icons and symbols which it contains. The symbols are very small but when you click on them once, you’ll be shown an enlarged version of the symbol or the icon.
- Once you’ve made a choice of which icon to use, double click on it. When you do that, the character will appear on the copy box, which is located at the bottom of the page.
- Copy the character then go to the application you are planning to use the character in. Paste in on the desired location.
- You can keep on doing this or you can simply use the chart to find the right icon and type in the corresponding key on your keyboard.
The Character Map application is not only for copying the icons and pasting them on your file. Aside from that, you can also use it to browse through different fonts and choose which one you want to use. Now you can go online to search for a chart or be your own translator, which we will guide you with on the final section of this article.
Be Your Own Wingdings Translator
This font, which was released by the Microsoft Corporation way back in the year 1992, makes use of symbols and icons instead of traditional letters and numbers. It’s is a standard font which is already built into all the different Microsoft Office processing applications. This font is typically used to translate different emotions when typing. Such symbols used to symbolize emotions are smiley faces, thumbs up, arrows and such.
When seeing a file filled with symbols instead of English content, you may feel confused or overwhelmed. Don’t panic though, translating this font back into English is very easy. Follow these simple steps:
- Open the file (whether it’s an email, a document or a webpage) which has the Wingdings font used on it.
- Highlight all the content. You can do this in two ways:
- If the whole content is in this font, simply press Ctrl + A on your keyboard to select all
- If only a part or parts of the content is in the font, place the cursor at the end of the text then press and hold the left button of your mouse. Drag the cursor to the other end of the text, while still holding down the left button of your mouse. When you’ve highlighted the selection, release the left button.
- Press Ctrl + C on your keyboard to copy the text which you had selected or highlighted.
- Open any of your word processing programs on the computer. Once opened, press Ctrl + V to paste the text to the new file.
- Press Ctrl + A to select all of the text once again.
- Find the font box or the dropdown menu for fonts. This is usually found at the top portion of your software window. Click on the down arrow for the list of different fonts to appear.
- Scroll through the different fonts on the dropdown menu to find a font which is readable and click on that font. Once you’ve done that, the content which is typed in the Wingdings font will immediately be translated into English or any type of readable text.
Wingdings and Undertale: W.D. Gaster’s Alphabet and Translator
Undertale is an indie RPG game developed by Toby Fox, along with the artistic contribution of Temmie Chang, using the software Game Maker Studio. It was released for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X on September 15, 2015 and to date, it has achieved incredible acceptance by the public.
Undertale’s Game Storyline
Long ago, two races reigned on Earth: Humans and Monsters. One day, war broke out between the two races and after a long series of battles, the humans won. The best and greatest human mages sealed the monsters underground, using a magic barrier.
Several years after the war, in 201x, a human infant climbed Mount Ebott for unknown reasons. There is a saying that those who climb Mount never return. The protagonist (it is never specified by Toby Fox and there is no term to date to refer to a transgender, it can be called feminine, masculine or non-binary) discovers a huge opening in the mountain and falls inside the cave. This is where the player’s adventure begins.
Who is W.D Gaster?
W.D. Gaster from Undertale
He was the royal scientist before Alphys and was the one in charge of the creation of the Core. Gaster’s followers convey different explanations of what happened to Gaster. One iteration says that “it fell into its creation,” others say that “his experiments went wrong,” and some say “it broke through space and time.” Characters such as the River Person and Gaster’s Followers suggest its existence. The player cannot fight or interact with Gaster but there is a fangame called Unitale where you can fight him.
Fonts in Undertale
When some of the characters in the game speak, a particular font is displayed on the screen for their speeches. The character Sans speaks in “Comic Sans”, while Papyrus speaks in “Papyrus”. W.D. Gaster’s font is Wingdings, hence his name “W.D” from Wing Dings, so some speculate that his full name may well be Wing Ding Aster.
What is Wingdings?
Wingdings is a typeface of consisting of dingbats, which render a variety of symbols. They were originally developed in 1990 by Microsoft by combining characters: Lucida icons, arrows, and licensed stars of Charles Bigelow and Kris Holmes.
How can we read / write Wingdings?
English to Wingdings Converter Online
Use the Wingdings Translator on this website. You can translate to and from English and W.D. Gaster’s language (Wingdings). Keep in mind to write in Uppercase to get the same symbols as Gaster uses.
To use the English to Wingdings Converter tool, simply enter the text you want to translate in plain English, into the first box. The text will automatically appear translated into Wingdings on the second box.
You can also enter text on the Wingdings box, in case you need to convert Wingdings to English or plain text in Spanish, French or any other language. Use this tool to write encoded messages and keep them secret, and then decode them back into normal text. Here’s a quick chart of translation into Gaster’s language:
Wingdings Chart WD Gaster
Fun Facts about Undertale and W.D. Gaster
- It is presumed that W.D. Gaster is a combination of the words “Wingdings” and “Aster”. Curiously, while Aster is a typography, it is also a suffix used in botany referring to “denoting incomplete similarity” between two similar plants.
- “Aster” (full name: Asteraceae) is also a family of flowers that includes daisies, sunflowers and buttercups, Flowey-like flower types.
- “Gast” in Swedish (plural: Gastar) is a term referring to a type of ghost (Thanks to this, you could say that it is a spirit or a ghost.
- In the videogame’s Kickstarter, Toby put in the money goal that if the game reached $ 12,500 USD. There would be a Secret Boss, probably in the beta of the game this was going to be Gaster, but probably this was changed by Sans on the Genocide Path of the game.
- Until version 1,001, it was impossible to find this character unless the game data was altered, changing the word “fun” to “Fun”. Now it is possible to find it at random (like its followers) and to be able to access the room where it is in Waterfall.
- Several theories assert that Gaster could be the father of Sans and Papyrus by the fact that the pixel of this one seems mostly a skeleton and by the indirect interactions of Sans with the science. Others, who is the elder brother.
- Among the theories also finds one that establishes that he is the true villain of Undertale.
Два шрифта без букв
В Windows есть два шрифта, в которых нет букв, цифр и знаков препинания. Их место занимают разнообразные значки и всевозможные пиктограммы.
Содержание: 1) Шрифт Wingdings 2) Шрифт Webdings 3) Как можно вставить значок из такого шрифта? 4) Два упражнения по компьютерной грамотности со шрифтами 4) Шрифт Wingdings стал языком W.D.Gaster?
В Microsoft Windows к шрифтам без букв относятся, например, шрифты:
1) Шрифт Wingdings
В него входят пиктограммы и декоративные символы. Привожу неполный список значков шрифта Wingdings (полный список можно увидеть в Таблице символов, об этом речь пойдет ниже):
2) Шрифт Webdings
Состоит из пиктограмм:
Кроме шрифта Wingdings, есть еще Wingdings2 и Wingdings3, которые отличаются набором значков.
Шрифт Symbol содержит кладезь полезных символов для математика – буквы греческого алфавита и математические знаки.
Зачем нужны такие шрифты? Например, для быстрой вставки в документ соответствующего значка без привлечения сторонних редакторов.
Как можно вставить значок из такого шрифта?
Рассмотрим три способа:
- с помощью Таблицы символов,
- средствами редактора Word,
- через папку Шрифты в операционной системе Windows.
1) Рассмотрим вариант с помощью Таблицы символов.
Для этого открываем ее: Пуск – Программы – Стандартные – Служебные – Таблица символов.
В окне Шрифт выбираем соответствующий шрифт, в нем выбираем один или несколько символов, затем копируем.
Переходим в документ и в нужном месте вставляем эти символы из буфера обмена, например, используя комбинацию горячих клавиш Ctrl+V. Подробнее об этом можно прочитать в статье «Таблица символов Windows».
2) Во втором варианте можно воспользоваться редактором Word.
Для этого в Word используем функцию «Вставка» – Символ. Например, в Word 2007 кликаем по «Другие символы».
В открывшемся окне выбираем нужный шрифт, например, Webdings. Затем находим нужный символ.
Чтобы его вставить в документ, достаточно дважды кликнуть по выбранному символу или один раз – по кнопке «Вставить».
3) Если у Вас операционная система Windows, можно узнать какие шрифты есть на вашем устройстве, подробнее ЗДЕСЬ.
Два упражнения по компьютерной грамотности со шрифтами
Скопируйте текст 1 в текстовый редактор на своем ПК и отформатируйте его по образцу текста 2.
ТЕКСТ 1 (исходный):
Жила-была ХХХ. Однажды она пошла в ХХХ. В ХХХ она встретила маленького ХХХ. Она очень обрадовалась. Но вдруг на небе появилась ХХХ и пошел сильный ХХХ. ХХХ спряталась в кусты около дерева. Вскоре дождь прекратился. На небе показалось ХХХ. Послышалось пение ХХХ. Высохли ХХХ и ХХХ. ХХХ вышла из кустов и увидела на дереве ХХХ и маленького ХХХ. Он вылез из укрытия и поджидал свою добычу. ХХХ еще погуляла немного, а затем пошла ХХХ, набрав много красивых ХХХ. Там ее ждали ХХХ и ХХХ. Они обрадовались ее приходу и сели ХХХ.
ТЕКСТ 2 (что должно получиться):
Второе упражнение со шрифтами:
Напишите в текстовом редакторе свой ник или свое имя заглавными буквами, латиницей. Выделите его и примените к нему шрифт Wingdings (не Wingdings 2, не Wingdings 3, а просто Wingdings). Некоторые утверждают, что так увидели свою историю жизни.
Посмотрите, как я выполняю второе упражнение. Записала видео “Как писать разными символами в текстовом редакторе”:
Шрифт Wingdings стал языком W.D.Gaster?
В комментариях к этой статье спрашивают про язык W.D.Gaster (персонаж игры Undertale). Честно сказать, не знаю игры Undertale, но, то, что называют языком W.D.Gaster, на мой взгляд, это просто известный шрифт Wingdings.
Для поклонников игры Undertale нашла на Youtube видео “Как говорить языком W.D.Gaster (Gaster undertale)”:
P.S. Рекомендую также прочитать:
Шрифт с засечками. Рубленый шрифт.
Моноширинные шрифты. Пропорциональные шрифты.
Векторные шрифты. Растровые шрифты
Получайте актуальные статьи по компьютерной грамотности прямо на ваш почтовый ящик. Уже более 3.000 подписчиков.
Важно: необходимо подтвердить свою подписку! В своей почте откройте письмо для активации и кликните по указанной там ссылке. Если письма нет, проверьте папку Спам.
What Is Wingdings?
What is Wingdings? Think about the last time you communicated by Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp. Perhaps you used the heart emoji to show your affection or the winking face as the punchline in a funny sentence. Or, if no one was watching, maybe you took a selfie making a funny face to send it to your partner.
Now imagine how this same conversation would be like in the early 90s. With limited resources, even finding a picture to accompany the text of a page was very complicated. At times like this, fonts like Wingdings were very useful.
What is Wingdings?
What is Wingdings?
Wingdings is a typeface of the dingbat typographic family which renders a variety of symbols. They were originally developed in 1990 by Microsoft, by combining different types of characters: Lucida icons, arrows, and licensed stars of Charles Bigelow and Kris Holmes.
The invention of Wingdings
Nowadays it is very easy to take a picture from the Internet and paste it into a document, but this used to be much more complicated. During the 90s there were few ways to obtain graphics, which were too heavy for hard drives and had an awful resolution anyway. Fonts such as Wingdings gave users scalable images that did not occupy too much of that valuable disk space.
Wingdings was the idea of two designers: Charles Bigelow and Kris Holmes, also responsible for the popular font Lucida. Gestures, objects, arrows and various other symbols that Wingdings offered could now be used to decorate, embellish or supplement documents. As for writing readable sentences, it failed miserably, unless you had a Windings translator.
With Lucida, Charles and Kris were put at the forefront of digital typefaces. But they also wanted special characters that fit along with the letters, so in 1990, they came up with these symbols.
The first series were Lucida Icons, Lucida Arrows and Lucida Stars, three fonts that later became Wingdings, created with the intention to bring harmony to text in similar proportions to those offered by Lucida.
Microsoft and Wingdings
This big variety made the font very popular, so it was acquired by Microsoft in 1990. Bill Gate’s company took over the rights of Lucida Icons, Lucida Arrows and Lucida Stars and combined them into a single font which they called “Wingdings“, that was included in a beta version of their operative system that same year. Storage space limited the number of characters that they could include in each version, but they were still willing to include as many fonts as possible in the launch floppy disk. Despite these limitations, a cultural phenomenon was started.
Microsoft devised the name “Wingdings” as a combination between an old term used in print, “dingbat” (a typographical symbol or ornament) and “Windows“. This new name suggested wildness and excitement, said Bigelow. From the beginning, Wingdings was a success, much of which was due to its inclusion in the Microsoft ecosystem.
Wingdings, the misunderstood font
As often it happens in our days, at that time Wingdings was misunderstood. Although its intention was to function separately, only to add a touch of creativity, some users interpreted it as a font meant to write words and sentences. This carried certain contingencies.
Wingdings and NYC
“Wingdings unleashed a furor much bigger than Microsoft expected,” says Bigelow. “Some conspiracy theories appeared, pointing to Wingdings as a source of subliminal messages.” The most famous of these theories states that Wingdings is loaded with anti-Semitic messages against New York City (when writing “NYC” a symbol of a skull, the Star of David and a thumbs up appears). Of course, Bigelow says that such “hidden messages” are merely coincidences in the process of converting the font – Microsoft never considered that users would read the stack of character as a real code of letters.
Ironically, these terrible conspiracy theories showed the great success that Wingdings had achieved. Wingdings had a long-lasting impact on our culture. Starting from there, it was adapted with new icons and additional images, morphed into other fonts such as Webdings (which had the help of the designer of Comic Sans, Vincent Connare) and gave rise to many new things.
What inspired Wingdings?
To better understand what is Wingdings and its character set, we can look at what inspired it. “We were inspired by both historical and modern images” said Bigelow. The Lucida Icons spanned many eras. “The pointing fingers and the hands traced us to medieval manuscripts and, before that, to ancient Romans gestures. The planes were an invention of the twentieth century; and just as keyboards, computers, mouses and printers that were included in the font Lucida Icons, they were part of life in the office in 1990, when these images were drawn.”
Charles Bigelow’s favorite characters in Wingdings are the floral elements that were partially inspired by the plants that Holmes had in his garden, during the summer when they designed the fonts Others were inspired by Renaissance prints, English roses and other types of foliage.
So, what is a dingbat?
Printing Press – What is Wingdings?
When working with printing presses, the printers required a prefabricated pattern in order to ornament texts. Each figure or letter had to be carved by hand and added before it could go into the print, so it was very laborious making a new template for each drawing or figure.
The dingbats were tiny pieces in a variety of reusable shapes that could fit in the text and used as ornaments in the book.
Since ancient times
The history of font characters dates back to long before the dingbat. Bigelow, who taught, among other courses, Concepts of Text at Stanford University, says this goes much further in the past. After all, he says, it is possible to trace the letter “A” in the shape of an ox head to 3,500 years ago. That old use of images has been extended to our era.
“The Emojis are like dingbats in the sense that they represent typographical symbols” says Bigelow. “But they also go back to an old concept of pictographic writing from which evolved the Chinese and kanji characters”. Chinese and Japanese writing comes from the images and, as happens today with the emoji they are ways to express our ideas and ourselves.
The future of fonts such as Wingdings, which occupies a space between image and text, is impossible to predict.